PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Wheels-Up at Leongatha
View Single Post
Old 26th Aug 2022, 02:23
jonkster

Received 20 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by PiperCameron
Can one (hypothetically) get roasted by ATC for not checking NOTAMs before arriving in the circuit??

If I'd (hypothetically) done the 'right' thing and reported this to ML CTR how stupid should I feel for a negative response to "Have you checked the NOTAMs?"?
Too many PPLs seem to think ATC are the police and get scared to talk to them (sometimes when it would be wise that they did or better they sought their assistance).

They are just people doing their job. Sometimes they are having bad days and may get a bit short with us (just like pilots sometimes get short with them) but they are not the police, they are there to assist us.

The most likely response from ATC if you didn't check the NOTAMs (and should have) would be "thanks there currently is a NOTAM for YXXX" (perhaps with a sigh if you are the 12th pilot to tell them) and then they will pick up their coffee cup and carry on with their job whilst 5 other pilots will say under their breath, "thanks - glad you said something, I didn't know that".

And would CASA care if for some reason found out about a PPL who reported something that indicated that one day they hadn't checked the NOTAM about West Whoop Whoop? They have bigger things to do but say perhaps they were doing a ramp check and found this out, they might have a friendly chat and suggest you tighten up your act a bit and maybe give you a free CASA knee pad and pen. You almost certainly are not going to lose your licence or get fined or anything... (assuming you are not a known serial offender in which case it is more likely they will arrange for some remedial training).

my 2c, others may have different opinions.