PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Coroner not happy with ATSB
View Single Post
Old 26th Aug 2022, 00:07
PiperCameron

Received 82 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally Posted by Cloudee
A coroner examining the 2018 death of a young pilot says he cannot find anyone at fault following her fatal crash at a mountain range in remote southern Tasmania — but slammed Australia's air safety investigator for its "worthless" investigation of the tragedy.

Mr Cooper said: "In my view, in a general sense, the [ATSB] report lacks much by way of reasoning, is largely speculative and is, from my perspective at least, of little forensic value."
But he then goes on to say [Paragraph 85:] "In my view, evidence enables a conclusion that until the very last moment of the flight, immediately before colliding with the Western Portal, Ms Walker remained in complete control of her aircraft. What happened in the immediate moments before colliding with the Western Portal can only be speculation." In his view?? Is he an aircraft crash investigator now?

I'm not saying it happened this way, but if you want to "speculate", what if she had issues with the autopilot at precisely the wrong moment like the young girl in the C172 that crashed into a hill NW of Melbourne not so many years ago?? It's the ATSB's job to rule that out.

Last edited by PiperCameron; 26th Aug 2022 at 02:53.