PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - First flight in 7 years
View Single Post
Old 25th Aug 2022, 23:05
mrwilko

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

I just did it and was surprised how easy it was. I only renewed SEP, may do other ratings later. Main changes were skydemon now seems to be the preferred way of navigating, obtaining met and notams. CAA are actively encouraging it to reduce the number of airspace infringements. research showed that most cases of infringements were by pilots who didn't have such help. You don't need a tablet it will work on a smart phone. Carriage of a chart can now be replaced by Skydemon or other app.
Airmanship is now 'threat and error management with an emphasis on 6 outcomes which include reducing infringements and runway excursions etc. 'Skyway Code' mentioned above is a free download and would be a valuable read for any pilot.
There are many areas of the country where the nearby LARS has a transponder conspicuity code associated with it.
There are electronic conspicuity devices the use ADSB technology and can be paired to your skydemon to give other users your traffic information. If everyone had it it would be like PPL TCAS. The problem is not everyone has it.
Although class D has expanded, in many areas of open FIR, many military zones have gone making navigation more straightforward.
Good luck, you'll enjoy it, I don't know why I left it so long.