PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Not-so-woke Reds
View Single Post
Old 25th Aug 2022, 09:54
Diff Tail Shim

Received 137 Likes on 68 Posts
Originally Posted by Krystal n chips
Sorry, that wasn't the case at the time. The Reds have always been an attractive tour for many engineers and apprenti were just sent to wherever, irrespective of their wishes although it would be fair to say some did get them fulfilled .

As for the AMM's, they would only be there for, in theory, 12-18months, before doing the Tech's course. However, most got their first choice for one very good and specific reason. With the drawdown in fleets / locations, it benefitted both the RAF and the individual to be based at, and working on, a location and type that appealed to them. A certain "well known rotary station " did, in fact, demonstrate how effective this policy was with regard to how they treated AMM's as they wanted, and got, them back after they became Techs.

The (in)famous lunch time drinking ?....long gone, now replaced with?..... visits to the gym !

It will be interesting to see how these revelations develop and what, if any, effect they have on the public given most simply want to watch, as certain MSM thoughtfully explain to their readers, their, ahem, "aerial stunts " .

Internally is probably an entirely different matter and, whilst these revelations have reached the public domain, many of the issues bear a horrible and uncanny similarity to events at Lossie where it took, as I understand it, an SAC to have the moral courage to stand up in public and address a VSO as to the then flight safety culture...which lead to a significant investigation and some individuals " no longer employed " .
A few bad apples always spoil the barrel. Same everywhere wherever civvy or military as humans involved. Bad bosses or bad apples in the ranks that bring the level down. 24 hour postings are very difficult to disappear when the effects are obviously public. Only knew a couple of people in my time that volunteered and got into the reds. Then again, most engineers I knew at the places they where at were happy with their lot. I cannot say if that is the case now as I have not been in for 14 years. I do have a mate that has actually been selected to fly for them, was talking to him a couple of nights ago. He is over the moon with the opportunity to fly as a paid display pilot. I wish him the best for a highly successful tour.

Last edited by Diff Tail Shim; 25th Aug 2022 at 10:06.