PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Smart Aviation Poznan
View Single Post
Old 25th Aug 2022, 08:38
MatFlyingFrenchman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Reading this more or less interesting debate about Smart Aviation makes me want to write a factual review of my training there.

I did my MEP MEIR CPL at Smart Aviation from the 1st of March to the 29th of June 2022. No, it didn't take me 4 months to complete the course, but I had to split the training in several parts because I wanted to keep my job and I can only take one month off at a time. That was agreed with the school before I decided to go, and that was great from them to accept because it didn't make scheduling easy. During this 4 months period, my effective presence in Poznan has been a bit more than 8 weeks, but I was grounded 10 days during the MEP because I got covid. I can then say the expected timeline was met.

The quality of the training was very good, and the instructors are excellent. During IR, my instructor even taught me interesting tips that go beyond the legal requirements of the course : "airline-like" advanced use of automation, continuous descent arrival calculation from cruise level...

Yes, indeed, the administrative part is perfectible, but honestly they are doing their best to improve. I can not personally complain, because I chose to be tested under the French authority (DGAC), and once again it doesn't make things easy for them (complex paperwork, 2 different examiners to be arranged, very early notification of the skill tests etc). One of the people from the office even saved my exam slot when DGAC asked ULC to authentify my ATPL theory (passed in 2020 with Bartolini) on a Friday with the skill test scheduled the next Monday. She called the right person in ULC to assure a reply to DGAC on time. I know all schools in Poland don't accept testing under DGAC and that was another essential criteria for me to choose Smart.

If I can suggest something to improve, yes that would be maybe more anticipation in the scheduled maintenance of the fleet to avoid all twins to be out at the same time (unforeseen maintenance makes things difficult though). You can still anticipate by checking yourself the remaining potential before next check in the tech log of each aircraft and compare with the scheduled hours before your slot. In Smart, as richpea said, don't expect to be taken by the hand, but just learn how to make things work by yourself. It will prepare you for your career.

For what has been said about the salesman, I do not comment on people individually in public and prefer to debrief incidents in private, if there are. I would just say it happens that you don't like someone, and it happened to me, but in aviation you won't choose the captain you will fly with. If you act professionnally and as an adult you will be able to work with (almost) anyone, in the cockpit and anywhere else.

Yes, for the VFR charts, expect a few euros to be spent on that. Or just get them for free from someone who finished (if they are still valid). That's what I did, and pass them to the next (cool) student when you leave.

The airline assessment pass rate calculation method used by n2sK seems a bit too simplistic because it assumes 100% of the students of each class apply to Ryanair or Wizz Air. It is definitely not the case, and I believe the real figure is much higher than 38%.

In summary, yes I totally recommend Smart Aviation and I believe the ATO will continue to improve.

MG