PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is Ukraine about to have a war?
View Single Post
Old 24th Aug 2022, 09:58
Recc

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Less Hair
Could the right wing young daughter be considered to be any future political competitor to Mr. Putin?
I don't think that that is a likely motive as she has no formal political role (or even a particularly high profile in Russia). The Russian leadership is not homogenous when it comes to the policy on Ukraine and Dugin (if not strictly in a leadership role) was influential among the hardliners/ ideologues. The most likely explanation (in my opinion) is that the assassination targeted the father, and was organised by more liberal/ realist elements within the security services. If it was authorised by Putin, then it seems likely that it may be a prelude to an attempt at de-escalation. I imagine that the hardliners who advised him that a quick war in Ukraine was achievable and desirable may not be that popular right now.

If it really was a result of infighting within the Russian leadership, then it will be interesting to see whether it is an isolated act or the start of something more serious.