PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Helicopter instruction: Cost etc
View Single Post
Old 5th Jan 2004, 15:45
Camp Freddie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the reality is and I know because I have done it for a long time that being a flight instructor for people doing there PPL is not a proper career, you work far more hours than a regular job for less money than a regular job. generally with no sick pay no no pension and no benefits.

and where did this stuff about charging more as you have less students come from. the instructor rate is £40 per hour more or less regardless of number of students, unless the school paying the instructor a retainer or different deal etc.

In the UK I worked endless days where the weather was bad or the aircraft u/s so earned nothing. even when there was student demand.

I dont understand this negativity about what is already a poor sector of the profession to go into from a "trying to justify it to your wife point of view as to why to spend £60k" and unlike doctors or lawyers the pay never goes up with more experience, there is only so many hours you can flying in a week given all the factors.

there is obviously a balance to be struck, just like on the north sea the guys up the front were at one time generally the lowest paid people on the a/c, then a reasonable pay structure was fought for which is more equitable.

there is nothing wrong with fair pay for hard work, some of you guys wouldnt be happy till the instructor was flying for free " just so it keeps the rates down"

flight instructors have had there keeness to fly exploited for years and it seems even worse in the US, and I dont think the answer is to drag everyone down to US levels of pay.