PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Balked landing Boeings
View Single Post
Old 24th Aug 2022, 08:15
Jwscud

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
The G550 flight test crash was on rotation while trying to meet flight test objectives so while it is ground effect related (iirc the ground effect on stalling AoA had been miscalculated) it doesn’t have much relevance to discussion on balked landing or go arounds. I’m afraid I’m absolutely not an expert, just a line pilot but this is what I can share

I recall a training presentation stating that the Vref for landing flap on Boeing aircraft was the same speed as V2 for the go around flap setting, providing the same stall margin. I’m afraid I no longer have access to my 777/737 manuals and training department policies changed as to how balked landing should be flown but the most recent I recall similarly delayed flap retraction until the aircraft was airborne.

Differences in philosophy as to how to enter the go around mode also led to differences in thrust lever handling which necessarily changed the initial flight crew focus. The TOGA switch inhibition close to the ground on the 777 led to a need initially to disconnect the auto throttle and apply thrust manually.