PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Laker Airways IT and charter
View Single Post
Old 24th Aug 2022, 08:10
Jhieminga

Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts
Originally Posted by Skipness One Foxtrot
If a good book is your thing, I devoured (not literally) "The Glory Years of Sir Freddie Laker" on a LHR-SFO flight back in 2019 and have just bought the sequel, "The Second Coming of Sir Freddie Laker" for an upcoming US trip. It goes into detail on a lot of the wonderful posts above, highly recommended if you like that sort of read. Hope that's OK with mods, am not advertising as I have no skin in the game. Lots of detail on keeping all those DC-10s busy in the years before 1977 and Skytrain actually happening.
We've discussed this same set of books in another thread recently, I can only second your recommendation. The story of Freddie Laker is also covered in the 1980 book '
Fly me, I'm Freddie Fly me, I'm Freddie
' which is available secondhand at prices at which you can't go wrong. It only covers his early years though. If you want the full story, part 1 'Laker'(
Amazon Amazon
) covers everything up to the 1982 bankrupcy and part 2 'Freddie' (
Amazon Amazon
) is the convoluted story of the court cases that followed and Freddie's further ventures into airline and other businesses.

I don't own stock in the publishing business, I'm just enthusiastic about these two titles and the enormous amount of work that Ania Grzesik and the late Greg Dix put into them.

Last edited by Jhieminga; 24th Aug 2022 at 08:13. Reason: Links don't want to work...