PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Emirates Application 2022
View Single Post
Old 23rd Aug 2022, 10:09
Rhodes13

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by AIMINGHIGH123
The reason for quoting housing is not to boost figures. It’s a like for like.
At BA you get no housing. In your pocket is say £4-£5k a month in first few years. Out of that you have to pay rent/mortgage/childcare etc. Ok UK you get free schooling, however, that’s 8.30-3.30. Have to pay after school fees if both parents working. That’s around £1k a month.

Im not pro pro EK just balancing it up.

Yea I have seen the figures in Dubai. Have you seen the rents London/SE England? To get good schools you have to live close to said schools. Even 1 hr drive out from LHR you looking at around £1 mill for a nice place close to catchment for schools. Or you go private and pay £25k plus a year. I know this because it’s the daily chats I have at pick up time and been looking to move for 3 years. Good schools expensive houses. Cheaper house pay private schooling.

I said before social security isn’t quite the same in UK as other EU. It’s there but my mum is struggling. Shes elderly disabled and the help she is getting isn’t enough. Why? She has savings. She’s been told if she gets rid of her money she will get more help from government. Not much but an extra £200 a month to pay electric and gas.

Yes EK you get no help but if you seriously crunch numbers and go worst case on everything financially EK is better, unless you rent in UK. If you rent and lose a job with a family the government will pick up the tab. If you have a mortgage they don’t as you have assets. Thats how it works.

This is based on 2 people working. Living in UK you need 2 incomes to get a good mortgage.
A million plus for a good house? BS I live under 40 minutes to LHR and paid half of that for a house and in a great catchment area for schools. So that is utter tripe!

And you've factored in the cost of childcare in Dubai? Or a maid? Or do kids not need care after school in the UAE?

Perhaps your problem is you want a champagne lifestyle on a beer can salary.

Try going long term sick in EK and see what happens when that caring company turfs you out after a year or uses your sickness as a justification to make you redundant in the next downturn.

I've gotta go tell me FO friends at EK its all ok, as some stranger on the internet who's never done the job or lived there has said he's crunched the numbers and it's all ok and that they aren't struggling.