PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 50 Years of the Fabulous 500.
View Single Post
Old 23rd Aug 2022, 08:55
500 Fan

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hi SAS, glad you made it out of that sticky situation!

Originally Posted by rotorfish
Is there any information available on which civilian operator or owner has the most number of C models (or variants) still on a register?
Also which military or police force has or operates the most as well?
Thanks
It looks like the Spanish Navy are possibly the biggest current military operator with six Hughes 500Ms still in use as training aircraft. These were recently refurbished and will continue to fly for another few years yet with no retirement date set. The Guardia Di Finanza in Italy may have a few 500MCs still in service but it is unlikely they have more than six. Argentina still fly the 500M, I believe, but I think their numbers might be around three.

Japan would have been the largest military operator, historically, with 120 OH-6J (500M version) but all have been retired. I understand that Japan is possibly prohibited from selling military aircraft on, so none of these are flying now. This also applies to their OH-6D (500D) fleet recently retired, which seems a waste of perfectly good second-hand aircraft.

On the commercial side, Ned is correct in saying the Tuna Boat operator companies have the biggest fleets, usually a mix of 500C and OH-6As along with some 500Ds now. There probably are a few 500Cs in use with Police Forces in the USA and elsewhere but their numbers are very low. The most numerous version from Hughes still in law enforcement use is probably the former US Army OH-6As donated to various agencies in the USA. Their numbers are dwindling but some still fly on. The Spartanberg County Sheriff's Office might have the only fleet that numbers greater than one (with two airframes currently operational, I believe).

500 Fan.

Last edited by 500 Fan; 23rd Aug 2022 at 09:08.