PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ASIC - Surely this must be the end
View Single Post
Old 23rd Aug 2022, 03:31
extralite

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts
"Correctly worn ASIC's"

In the beginning the problem was that terrorists could access an airport with the post 9/11 hysteria. The solution to that apparently was to bring in a new ID card that everyone who worked on an airport needed to get very 2 years. The terrorists would not be able to get one, and so that of course been an unsurmountable barrier to those of criminal intent. Nothing much has happened since other than tens of thousands of hours wasted by people who need to work at an airport. For those that would argue that an ASIC card has prevented anyone with criminal intentions being able to access an aircraft, spare me. Besides how easy it would be to mock one up, airports are often not well fenced or patrolled in early mornings. Plus easy to get a job as a baggage handler, cleaner and an so get an ASIC for those without a prior criminal record)

So now because things are quiet and people need to justify their job, especially ARO's as they really have bugger all to do at many airports, the "crime" is not to be without an ASIC airside, but to be not wearing one correctly. So much so that a firefighter at Ballina was reportedly either fined $5000 or threatened with one (not sure) for not wearing their ASIC correctly by the ARO. What ARO in their right mind could possible think they are doing anything constructive by pinging an airport firefighter for not wearing an ASIC card correctly? It certainly won't help the firefighters attitude, it wont save any lives, its just being a bloody nuisance. ARO's are sure developing a reputation.

To pre-empt the "well he/she could have been an imposter" reply...wouldn't asking to see the ASIC be enough? Does it really need a fine because it is not displayed in the correct manner? Personally i have kept mine in my wallet as i have found it dangling around my head when inspecting underwings etc and this is distracting. Also had a lanyard break and it fall out. So a FOD hazard as well as a security hazard. If anyone wanted to see it, it is right there. The one time i have been asked, by a Fed, they were fine with me pulling it out.

Not good enough now apparently. There is an "alert" that the "Cyber and Infrastructure Security Centre" (can you just imagine the pointy heads in Canberra there dreaming up new embuggerances every day) has commenced targeted and increased surveillance" of incorrectly worn ASIC cards. I wonder if there will ever be any pushback against this bureaucratic madness. How good would it be if just for once a change came out that actually made things easier for those working at airports. eg...ASIC for 5 years, or a passport instead of a birth certificate as ID, or a note from employer with reason to be on airport, or god forbid no ASIC but just a plausible reason to be airside and a valid ID.