PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - If you're scud-running, don't follow rising terrain.
Old 22nd Aug 2022, 11:21
helispotter

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts
Seems like the helicopter may already have been descending as it approached ridge but hard to tell using only the perspective seen from the video. The collision with the trees occurred very soon after crossing the ridge. So 'feels' more like loss of control due to sudden change in wind conditions than pilot suffering from a loss of visual references? On YouTube, I noticed comment by 'Reese Fortune' suspecting occurrence of retreating blade stall. Not being a pilot, I hadn't been aware this could occur in practice even though I understand the concept. But given the relative movement of trees below, it seems the helicopter made a fairly rapid turn to port after passing the ridge. Direction of rotation of rotor on AS350 is clockwise from above, hence retreating blades would be on starboard side. So wouldn't such a blade stall have cause helicopter to roll / yaw to starboard if it wasn't due to pilot control inputs?

The BBC article quotes Dimitri Flores as saying: "I'm very disappointed with the authorities. They flew over here with helicopters several times, helicopters which cost us millions, but which they couldn't land here...". Was he wanting a pile of mangled helicopters to join the one he had just been on?

Last edited by helispotter; 22nd Aug 2022 at 11:58. Reason: simplify comment.