PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Reported Pause in RAF White Recruiting To Meet Diversity Targets
Old 22nd Aug 2022, 09:25
Bob Viking

Received 553 Likes on 151 Posts
Comeuppance

As much as I fear this current furore will change nothing, I am actually very glad it has happened. For quite a while now we (all of us, not just the white men) have had to endure the D&I or E&D lectures. We have had to sit quietly and be told how we should behave. If we dared to question it we would be immediately shot down and called nasty names. You could probably look back through this forum and find numerous examples of well-meaning progressives telling everyone else how it is for ‘the greater good’.

The funny thing is that the vast majority of us (there are still outliers who do need to be told how to behave but their numbers are very limited and they usually make themselves quite obvious) already knew how to behave. We understood the reasons why the lectures existed (and wholeheartedly supported the motives) but secretly seethed at the fact our intelligence was being constantly insulted and our characters impugned. Additionally, if I were from a minority race or female I suspect I would be absolutely livid that there were people who looked at me like I was only there to satisfy a quota. But I would probably be even more livid at the people who milk it for all they’re worth. A great example of that came from my time in Canada. One female fighter pilot was all over the media and attended every corporate event going to celebrate ‘girl power’. Another female fighter pilot quietly, and very effectively, got on with her job. Guess which one was the better operator?

Well maybe now someone might sit up and take notice. The well-meaning crusade has, as predicted by the vast majority of personnel, spectacularly backfired. And now everyone is pissed off. Not just the white guys.

Maybe if or when I look to rejoin in a few years I may be welcomed back. Even if only to satisfy a new quota. That of the under-represented middle aged white male.

BV