PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Watsonville midair
View Single Post
Old 22nd Aug 2022, 09:08
FullMetalJackass

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fdr
The 152 N449931 was well within its normal rights. He was also entitled to do a G/A when he considered the aircraft from behind posed a threat. The 340A was observed to be at high speed according to the local rags, but was in all cases the overtaking aircraft, and was required to give way. Being right doesn't give much consolation when you are still timex. The 152 did everything right, he did an avoidance manoeuvre and if the plane behind ran into him... Did the 152 start an offset to the right? It appears that there was little time between the decision to Go around and the impact, so at 152 speeds, he isn't going to be far off the centreline, and he was apparently looking over his shoulder at least for part of the time. At 65-70kt, the 152 isn't going to go far compared with a 179kt 340A running into him.
I doubt the C152 pilot was looking over his shoulder, especially if he was a student pilot on final, he'd be focussed on what's in front of him. To ascertain a plane is closing from behind fast he would have had to turn his head, capture the intruding aircraft, judge it's distance and closing speed - all whilst coming in to land. I'm pretty sure he had ADS-B in and was watching the aircraft closing on that screen..... looking at Flight Aware / Flight Radar, the C152 isn't visible, therefore had the 340A also had ADS-B in, he still would not have been aware of the C152.

What I do note is the calls of the C152 pilot - downwind, base but no call on final? Maybe this would have alerted the twin pilot as he was still looking for traffic on base....