PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Channel Airways Comets
View Single Post
Old 22nd Aug 2022, 08:23
rog747

Received 41 Likes on 21 Posts
We reflect that the Channel Comets were acquired in 1969 for the huge Lyons Tours IT contract for at least 3 seasons from 1970.

I never saw any reference to the CW Comets being used shown in their own in-house Tour Operators brochures (Golden Jet, Mediterranean, and Trident Holidays) but I have read that all of the CW Jets would step in from time to time.

I do sort of recall seeing the CW Comets listed as flying in a couple of other Tours Company brochures - possibly Pontinental was one>?

Re the comments about flight code LY being used (rather than CW) in the BHX airport timetable (LY being Lyons Tours) I have also seen ''MH'' used for Channel's Trident flights - MH being Mediterranean Holidays, this prefix also appeared printed on their charter flight tickets, rather than CW.

We have no idea what actually appeared on the flight departures board, or the May-Fly.

In the early spring of 1970, the Comets were immediately deployed on the lucrative Clarksons Holidays contract for bulb fields tours flights to Rotterdam from many UK departure points.

Channel had this contract since 1967 with Clarksons.

In the summer, the Comets flew the extended holiday schedule from Birmingham, Bristol, Teeside, East Midlands, Glasgow, Manchester, Newcastle and Stansted to the south of Europe.

With the arrival of the Comet, the Viscount fleet was further reduced.

Channels' Inclusive Tour flying had rapidly increased in 1967-68.

The new 1-11 started flying from SEN in 1967 to PMI RMI GRO IBZ AGP and Tangiers, and in 1968 the first Trident One-E 140 began flying from ZSD to the Mediterranean and the Canary Islands.

Channel had also won the Hourmont Travel IT contracts from from Cambrian AW (who still only had Viscounts) and started a large program flying from BRS and CWL,

as well as from MME CDD and NCL for Mediterranean and Trident Holidays.

No CW 1-11 jet flights were to be operated out of Southend for 1968 due to the many noise complaints received in 1967 - The fleet was moved to Stansted.

The runway length at SEN was also a limiting factor for the new Jets.