PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UK ATPL to FAA
Thread: UK ATPL to FAA
View Single Post
Old 20th Aug 2022, 22:56
Hass777

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chauderon and rudestuff, thank you very much for your answers, I really appreciate the help.

Chauderon - Yes you are correct, I'm at the start of my pilot journey. I was about to start flight training here in the UK, but then was considering the US option, since I'm a dual citizen. My situation is:

- Recently completed A-Levels
- I was initially planning to start studying for my UK ATPL this year but my family is considering moving back to the US in a year or two, so I thought about joining a US flying school instead of UK, as I see myself with my family in the US - but in about 2 years time.

Hence I was looking for some advice.

So in summary I think I have 3 options, as below:
1. If I complete my UK ATPL here in the UK, and then when I move to the US with my family in 2 years time, I can convert my frozen ATPL licence accordingly by following the steps rudestuff mentioned above. Although I think this may not be the best option if I'm eventually moving to the US. Please advise.
2. Or should I just start my training in the US and my family can join me later in 2 years time?
3. Or should I do anything else in the UK for those 2 years such as, volunteering, working or anything else such as studying something relevant? (suggestions welcome)

Also, I have looked into US flow-thru/regional airline programmes which lead you to a guaranteed interview with their major airline partner after flying with the regional for some years. From what I have researched such programmes won't require you to have a bachelors degree in order to get a job with the Major airline. What are your thoughts on this please? Is this true?