PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Laker Airways IT and charter
View Single Post
Old 20th Aug 2022, 11:51
rog747

Received 41 Likes on 21 Posts
Laker 1-11s were G-ATPK, G-AVBW, X and Y, G-AVYZ plus a leased one from Bahamas Airways, G-AXMU summer 1969

4 B707s, G-AVZZ and WDG ex Eagle/Qantas -138Bs, these were passed to Laker in early 1969 by a deal via Kleinwort, Eagles administrators.
G-BFBS and Z ex NW/Cathay 351s. These were the unique SCD models for NW - very early build 320B's non-adv to replace the -138B's.

6 DC-10 10s, G-AZZC and D, BBSZ, BELO, GFAL and GSKY - several came from the cancelled ANA and Mitsui Japan order - as did THY's trio,
and one of Laker's G-BELO was an early prototype #2 destined for AA but NTU - built in 1970 but not to GK until 1977.
2 of the youngest DC10-10's went to BCAL Charter/ BCA Charter (+ G-BELO added to Calair/Novair) -- op'd to 380 pax from 345 with GK.

5 DC-10 30s, G-BGXE - I

3 A300s G-BIMA - C, which were only the three delivered from 10 ordered.

One 707-138B usually had the gold International Caribbean titles, G-AVZZ, as did the DC-10 G-BBSZ
Both the 707-351B's carried Caribbean Airways titles, one was named "Bridgetown".
The airline had been renamed Caribbean Airways.
A long standing venture with Laker and locals from 1970 - ICA was the national airline of Barbados.

All of the fleet were used on IT holiday charters -
The short haul places saw all of the types being used flying mainly from LGW and MAN, including the ICA painted aircraft.
DC-10 30's would go to Reus and to Ibiza for instance.

Laker had bought Lord Bros Holidays and later on bought Arrowsmith Holidays (flying from MAN and LPL)
Both firms later became Laker Holidays. Wings Tours was a big charterer of Laker too.
Laker did a huge amount of cruise ship flights and School Trips, including the school educational cruises.
I think Laker picked up Channel Airways Berlin based IT charters.

The longest IT's back then were LPA and TCI, Istanbul, Izmir, Heraklion, Nicosia and Rhodes

Never had an accident, nor even a serious incident AFAIK....EDIT see below lol
The DC-10 bulk hold cargo door modifications had already been embodied in the Laker Airways aircraft prior to delivery, and before the THY Paris crash.

I think the 1-11 range enhancements and fuel management ideas pioneered I gather, by Laker has been covered above already (Thanks)
Passengers were restricted to 15kgs /33lbs for luggage on many IT flights.

As a young spotter in the late 60's and early 70's the Laker Hangar was a ''must visit'' as the very nice guys there usually let you wander and/or be shown around the planes.
(so did BUA and Donaldson Hangar guys too)

GK Holiday flights were operated principally on behalf of Lords, Arrowsmith (from Manchester), Blue Sky (a division of Laker's competitor - British Caledonian) and small-to-medium sized operators, such as Club 18-30 in its early days.
Later on, Laker Holidays also sold seats on their charter flights direct to the public. To comply with the new regulations for flight only bookings were accepted on the understanding that Laker provided the accommodation.
A nominal £1 fee was charged for arranging the accommodation. It was supposedly available, but I do not think anyone actually expected any accommodation to be provided.

In-flight meals or snacks were served on all package holiday flights. The "meals" were often cold and normally consisted of Ham and mini salad, or similar, dessert and tea/coffee, served on disposable trays. Hot meals were provided on longer flights or if the Tour Op paid for them.
Breakfast was rolls, butter, preserves and fruit cup.
The snack served on a Laker night flight from LGW to Palma was two bridge rolls - one ham and one cheese - and a small Kit Kat.
Drinks were always served and charged for.
Big Duty Free Sales of course.

There was no IFE on any Laker IT flights.
Neither the BAC 111s nor B707s had the equipment.
DC10s did have the IFE but on the package tour flights this was perhaps used for the safety demonstrations, although they did sometimes put on a film.
Interestingly, Laker got high utilisation of their aircraft. The DC10s would fly their Skytrain service to JFK and back and then do quick hop over to Palma or similar before repeating the JFK service.

I flew on the very last DC-10 30 in to LAX from LGW in FEB 1982 - Turned on the Hotel room TV the next morning and GK had just gone bust.