PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hill Helicopters HX50
View Single Post
Old 19th Aug 2022, 23:26
Shagpile

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
Whatever it's called in different regions (experimental, amateur built, ...) it's a fully viable option for private ownership which from my experience is superior to certified aircraft for private ops. It probably started a kind of a loophole 20 years ago, but it's been so thoroughly exploited now, there's no going back (most private ownership in Australia is now experimental - mostly Vans RV's, or RAAus ultralight). I would not buy a certified GA aircraft on the VH register unless I really needed it for a particular reason. Too much hassle. Experimental category is just so good, and if the aircraft is fairly conventional, there's zero (practical) operating restrictions applied. The big one being commercial work, hence the concurrent certification work to open up that market in the future. But all their marketing & design is based on the core use case being private.

Experimental/Amateur build production aircraft should not to be confused with the actual prototype aircraft (the first 1-3), which will have sensors everywhere and be used for actual flight test, etc. That's not what is being sold.