PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 50 Years of the Fabulous 500.
View Single Post
Old 19th Aug 2022, 14:17
SASless

Received 516 Likes on 215 Posts
500Fan, we used to routinely ferry 500D's using a 55 US Gallon fuel drum for an aux tank.

My longest trip was from DeadHorse in Alaska to Lafayette in Louisiana....took about 37 hours flight time as I recall.

Rough approximation of the route taken....all done at about 300-500 feet AGL and in some cases much lower due to the weather down the ALCAN an into Prince George....where I was the first aircraft to land in three days...and depart....as I approached Jasper the weather went beautifully clear and bright the rest of the flight.

I made two of those ferry trips that year....the other was to San Diego, California....and went down the Inland Passage route into the Seattle area....in some really not nice weather until I managed to find a way over Mount Ashland into California.

The closest young Captain Sasless came to doing himself in was on such a flight the following year....really hazy weather....and as I was approaching the Grand Canyon in Arizona....and concentrating on the map trying to figure out exactly where I would reach the Canyon.....I did....and flew right off the edge of a. mile deep hole in the ground....with no attitude indicator or airspeed indicator (it had decided to go U/S after takeoff on that leg of the flight.

I just managed to catch the edge of the canyon wall out of the corner of my eye....and immediately realize what I had done to myself....no visible horizon except for the canyon wall that was getting pretty vague already....and behind me....and no sight of the ground beneath me a mile away.

I did a rather abrupt return to the ground I could see having almost lot sight of it.....and landed and shutdown for a bit.

It took more than a few minutes to get my knees to stop shaking so I could get out and walk around and enjoy being on the ground.

I elected to take a detour and find a better way around that small terrain feature.