PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Reported Pause in RAF White Recruiting To Meet Diversity Targets
Old 19th Aug 2022, 13:25
Baldeep Inminj

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Avtur
Dear ACM Wiggy,

I am writing to complain that the position of Chief of the Air Staff’s Warrant Officer (CASWO), now Warrant Officer of the RAF (WORAF), has only been held by a white male since its inception in 1996. This was presumably because someone believed that these people were best candidates for the job. Not only is this concept silly, but the fact that the person must be a Warrant Officer is blatantly discriminatory and exclusive.

I therefore propose that you immediately remove WO Alpert, and replace him with a non-gender specific person of dark complexion, of any rank.

Yours Sincerely,

W. Oak BDS.
AVM (Ret’d)

This is great.

I remember reading, in the early 90's, about a teenager in the USA (where else) who was trying to sue her parents for having her. Her parents were less than aesthetically pleasing to behold and this young lady did unfortunately look like she had crawled out of the gene pool whilst the lifeguard wasn't looking - it was difficult to believe that out of 10 million sperm, she was the fastest. In any event, she said her life was a misery due to her looks, weight etc and that her parents should have known that any offspring they had would be less than pretty and would have an unhappy life. It made the papers partly because it was ridiculous, but also because of the dilemma it posed. Namely, if it went to court and she 'won' then the outcome she had desired would be that she would not have existed, and therefore could be alive to sue her parents in the the first place. I honestly cannot remember what happened.

I see a parallel with the misguided individual that is CAS. If he succeeds in halting recruitment of white men, and if he wants to drive up the diversity percentage, then he himself should leave as this would achieve both aims. However, if he leaves, then there will be nobody to drive the policy that made him leave...so he should not leave..

My brain hurts and wine would help....but it's early morning here in- North 'Murica, so a coffee will have to do for now.

I loved my time in the RAF, 27 years and 7200hrs of just great flying, awesome stories and lifelong friends. However, I could not in good conscience recommend the RAF of today to anyone as a career that will provide any sense of worth or pride. To those that are still in and looking over the fence, I can assure you that the grass is much greener if you are capable and skilled operator - don't believe RAF people who tell you different to try to retain you. When I left the RAF as a PA Flt Lt my take-home pay after tax was around 4400. 4 years after leaving my take-home after tax is around 4000.

But here, we are paid weekly...

Last edited by Baldeep Inminj; 19th Aug 2022 at 13:44.