PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Class2 Medical and Self Declaration
View Single Post
Old 19th Aug 2022, 10:46
rjc54n

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Whopity
The Medical Declaration can be made in two different weight categories, 5700 Kgs and 2000 Kgs, the latter is intended for anyone who has had some medical restrictions, wheras the higher weigh category now accomodates IMC flight as well. If you don't intend to fly outside the UK then the medical dec is a good way to go.
The CAA website is not very good but details of the Medical Declaration can be found here:
Does anyone know how to get this to apply to a new LAPL medical / licence? It seems to be your initial application has to be via a GP / AME and the criteria are different.

eg I have have properly managed and controlled epilepsy. I've been seizure free for 6 years thanks to appropriate medication. I've been discharged by neurology. The DVLA medical unit have issued me an unrestricted Class one vehicle licence. So under a Medical Declaration I'd be good for the 2000 KG category.

However, to get my licence I need an initial medical with GP / AME. There the criteria is 5-years seizure free without medication.

Is it worth contacting the CAA or should I just wait in the hope that the rules get aligned at some point? Somewhat ironically, coming off the meds would significantly increase risk - even after 5 years.