PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Reported Pause in RAF White Recruiting To Meet Diversity Targets
Old 19th Aug 2022, 10:21
PeterX60

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
62 years ago I was attested at RAF Cardington, next day to RAF Bridgenorth for 10 weeks basic training. One of the 24 beds in the squad hut was occupied by a member of the 'ethnic minorities' (Afro Caribbean in current ethnospeak) so around 4% of the entry - not very different from the general population. Competition to join up was significant, so I can only assume he (WRAFs were separate of course) jumped through the same hoops as the rest of us. He was treated as just another of the blokes. Over the next 9 years any casual racisim was directed at the locals where we were serving, and locally employed staff were again accepted as the same as ones in UK would have been.

Casual homophobia in conversation/'humour' yes, but when two of the pilots on the station were court martialled and dismissed for being gay, there was more sympathy with their situation then anything else.

Was I exceptionally fortunate in my trade/squadron/stations?

If the situation now requires the actions described it is IMHO a massive failure of leadership, starting at the top.