PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Reported Pause in RAF White Recruiting To Meet Diversity Targets
Old 18th Aug 2022, 16:43
Baldeep Inminj

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts
The practice of using 'unqualified' people to fill roles is one of the cornerstones of RAF structure - really.. How many contracts have been complete disasters because a 'really good pilot who needs broadening' found themselves involved in contract writing? I know so many pilots who were promoted into staff tours that they themselves admitted they were not remotely qualified to carry out successfully...that has always been the RAF way. Promotion has always been more important than competence at your job, hence the fact that the chiselers who get on the staff courses and use clever words have always been promoted above those who were just bloody good at their jobs.

I get that it looks ridiculous for a dentist to be running recruiting, but is it any more so than a pilot running the RAF...National Express is not run by a bus driver. The cause of this intense incompetence is the mistaken belief that anyone can do anything well. Not so. The RAF should silo the branches so people can rise as high as they can but always within their area of expertise, be it 'aircrew', 'medical', engineering' etc. There should be no postings of people outside of their group. Want to run recruitment but you are a dentist? Tough - you are not qualified. Want to run engineering and you are a pilot?...see you later. This will mean fewer Senior Officers of course, so all that wasted money can be spend on kinetic delivery rather that frenetic frivolity.

The RAF Current Inventory shows 479 aircraft as of today. The RAF has 105 Air Commodores in active service as of today (NOT including those in acting rank). That is 1 Air Commodore for every 4.56 aircraft. What a complete and utter joke the RAF has become - it is now a self-serving group of people, sucking up public funds to fuel it's own self-absorbed desire for more promotion and self-congratulation. I could not find the -number of active Group Captains but I am willing to bet there are probably 1 for every 2 aircraft - perhaps even 1 for 1. How the fc*k was that allowed to happen???

Who then leads the RAF if branches are silo'd into their own specialities? Simple - no one person. The heads of each silo form a team and they lead as a collective, with decisions being made together, but 'owned' by the person with the speciality in that particular area.

I work for a world leading Aerospace company and this is how we operate, and it works brilliantly.