PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Stansted-4
Thread: Stansted-4
View Single Post
Old 18th Aug 2022, 16:01
JW95

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pamann
TK to Istanbul (as opposed to AnadoluJet to SAW) would be a great way to open up more worldwide connections.

AMS definitely needs a better connection IMHO KLM would be the one to do this.

USA wise - Could we see Norse or JetBlue in the future? Aer Lingus via DUB would also open up westbound Atlantic connections.
Would definitely agree with you on TK. I always thought it was a shame that Turkish Airlines closed STN in 2009 in favour of LGW, as there is a huge demand for flights to Turkey from Stansted. I don't see why TK couldn't reinstate services to IST that complement and/or replace the current SAW service, given that both AnadoluJet and Pegasus both serve this route. As you say, the advantage of TK returning to STN would be that vastly more connections would be opened up that SAW does not have.

RE. KLM- completely agree also. There are some days where the existing EZY service offers only one rotation/day, while other days don't see any rotations at all. I think it's obvious that easyJet do not intend to reopen their STN base any time in the near future, hence an increase in services to AMS with better times/frequency is also very unlikely. If passengers want better times, they are essentially forced to use EZY via LGW or LTN instead. I think KLM could do very well on the route due to the vast connections available.

USA - I don't think Norse would wish to have a dual London operation from a cost-based perspective. IIRC, they did initially secure slots at STN before opting for LGW once slots there became available. LGW is also being flagged up as a base for Norse once they establish their UK based subsidiary, making an entry to STN even less likely. If anything, I do see scope for JetBlue to serve STN once more aircraft come online, and they have a sufficient number of daily rotations at both LHR and LGW before moving onto consider a third London airport. But I do think this will be some time yet. It's a shame that American Airlines couldn't make STN work when they tried in the 1990s and 2007-8, as it would be nice to see them back, perhaps this time with one of their A321NEOs.