PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aviation Medicine/Medical Officer
View Single Post
Old 18th Aug 2022, 12:30
beaconfell

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aviation Medicine/Medical Officer

Hi All,

New here. My apologies if this isn't the best subfurum for this question...

Any posters here (ex) Medical Officers?

I'm ex RAF groundcrew. I was very fortunate to have a tour on the Reds which included lots of back seat flying. The trip down to the CAM at Henlow sparked off an interest in aviation medicine and changed the course of my life. I was going nowhere in the RAF and couldn't see that changing. I'd tried the commission route, considered NCA, but it wasn't the right path for me and didn't work out. One day I thought 'go big or go home'... so I walked out and, long story short, went from being a JT to Doctor (via many painful, expensive, med school years!). I've been working as a Doctor 2 years now.

I still find the world of aviation fascinating and miss parts of life in the RAF. I'm keen to find some way to direct my career back toward aviation whether that be military or civilian.

I'm just wondering if any you here are current or ex RAF Medics or close to those who are? I'd be very thankful for anyone who'd be willing to give me a bit of a steer in the right direction. It's an incredibly niche field, and my background's a bit unique, so could definitely use an expert opinion.

Many thanks.