PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UK PPL Theory Studying - Alternative Methods?
Old 18th Aug 2022, 10:53
Pilot DAR

Received 60 Likes on 43 Posts
With regard to passing current exams you need focus to what is required
Well.....

I think the best way forward is to have one to one tuition when the instructor can shape lessons to you and cater to your individual needs.
Yes!

The responsibility of the student (and the instructor) is that the sutdent learns to be a competent pilot, not just learn to pass an exam. Take your time, make your mind into a sponge to absorb lots of information (and few bad habits!) don't be in a rush. As you learn more, your growing interest will let you be more curious, and build on that knowledge. You don't have to learn to an ATPL level for a PPL, but you want to be sure that your PPL knowledge is fully rounded to bolster the core knowledge.

I have been hired to do advanced training, to find a few times, that the PPL whom I was training had obviously just scraped through the minimums to a PPL. This might be okay if the instructor/examiner told the freshly minted PPL that they really needed to build time and experience before they progressed deeper into piloting. Instead, they went and bought something expensive and complex, and I was hired to train them in it - to find it was hopeless.

One of the advantages to learning to fly in one's youth may be that simply waiting to be old enough to progress to the next permit/license exam affords a helpful pause, while more learning can bring up skills and knowledge. Some older students have a rush on, thinking that a PPL is an objective. Though it is, it is more a milestone along a much longer period of learning. Having a PPL is not an indication of skill and experience in the big picture, it's a great stepping stone to learning more.

Avoid "learning" from Youtube video instruction, and computer flight simulators, that's how bad habits get ingrained, and have to later be un learned (which is expensive while you're unlearning during flying!). Read authoritative training material, and ask questions of suitably experienced instructors and pilots.