PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Reported Pause in RAF White Recruiting To Meet Diversity Targets
Old 18th Aug 2022, 10:27
teeteringhead

Gentleman Aviator

Received 51 Likes on 24 Posts
Hang on, I don't want to be protected by a force that reflects society! That's irrelevant to me! I want to be protected by the best that society has to offer.
Reminds me of a conversation I had with my USAF opposite number some years ago in the Gulf (or SWA as he insisted on calling it).

He was then proudly stating that the USAF's aim then (2002) was for a "force that reflected their society"

Teeters: Then why doesn't that apply to your Olympic track and field team?

USAF chap: Well, that's different, we've got to have the best........

Teeters: ????????

Examples would be the British Indian and Chinese communities, in which educational attainment levels are far higher than the national average and in which military service is viewed as a low status career,
and that reminded me of a conversation I had some years ago with a young, very bright female Air Cadet of Indian heritage.

YVBFAC: I really wanted to join the RAF to fly, but the family told me (sic) that I was going to be a doctor.

Moi: And?

YVBFAC: (With cheeky grin) I persuaded them that once I'd qualified (as a doctor) I could become a RAF Medical Officer - and maybe then still fly!!

I hope she succeeded.