PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - VFR flight following + PIREPs
View Single Post
Old 17th Aug 2022, 23:07
MagnumPI

Received 39 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by le Pingouin
As a controller I've always wondered why so few pilots request it. Just remember to advise changes of level and if you decide to change route. You're not likely to get knocked back unless the controller is very busy, of course subject to radar coverage.

PIREPs get passed onto the BOM and generally seem to result in amendments if they're significant.
Thanks le P, good to hear that ATCs don't have some secret agenda against VFR flight following! So for instance on the East Coast, within say 50nm of the Pacific, you're likely to have this coverage available the whole way up at lower levels? What if you're Mode S with ADSB-out and out of radar coverage, will they still be able to provide it or not?

One more question for you - I found this fact sheet from Airservices on VFR flight following. I note that they say you need to request at the control area boundary to be handed off to the next controller, otherwise termination results. Is this definitely the case, or are controllers generally obliging and thinking that they will hand you off already?

Originally Posted by KRviator
I routinely use it if I'm going on an extended cross-country, but then I have ADS-B so am not reliant on SSR coverage. Hell, I even used it when the RV was registered RAAus and I was going interstate - though the number of times Controllers responded to my call of "Centre, good morning, RV8434" as "Army 8434 good morning, go ahead" was enough for me to revert to Romeo8434 as that's what they saw from my ADS-B squawk.. Now the RV's VH- it doesn't matter.

I cant think of a time I've been knocked back on my initial request, though I've had it cancelled/suspended several times due lack of surveillance coverage however (le P can explain better here) most times the Controller "kept" my plan in the system such that when I showed up on the ASD of the next sector, they called me and we picked up where we left off until I cancelled it on descent.

If you're going XC and going high, you'd be nuts not to use it, it's free, you get traffic, the controllers seem to like being able to talk directly to you (if you're in Class E) and you're already in contact with Centre if you have a problem. There's no downside from what I can see.
Good to know, and yeah your thoughts are same as mine - why wouldn't you request it to enhance safety?

Originally Posted by PiperCameron
Radar coverage is pretty good around the "J-curve" (east and south east coast) and I know student pilots around here (YMMB) are encouraged to request it from ATC on their long navs, if only to stop them (a) getting lost and (b) busting the Class Charlie on the way back in.. but IMHO if it isn't on the syllabus/flight test it isn't going to be something an instructor wants to waste precious time on, especially if the student's english proficiency is less than perfect. (I mean, how many student pilots actually know where they ARE at all times?)

I'm currently doing a Night VFR rating and VFR Flight Following is one of the tools I have to use.
Interesting. It was never part of training in my RPL/PPL course. Would VFR flight following actually mean that the controller stops you from busting a step or boundary? Another question for Le P!