PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Doncaster Sheffield-3
View Single Post
Old 17th Aug 2022, 22:13
pug

Received 92 Likes on 55 Posts
Originally Posted by dsamole
TUI have been invited by PEEL to talk about an exit plan.

100% not interested in saving this, PEEL want warehouses, the council want warehouses, all rubbing their hands together at a tenfold increase in rates/rent.

Ref Humberside; When I worked there back in the day, we used to have 2x Onur Air MD80's in, Air Europa 737 plus a KLM fokker 50/70 and easterns JS32/41's all on a Monday morning. Problem is now, health and safety dictates space and the stands are now much much larger then they was 15 years ago.
There is space for HUY to grow its stand provision. I could be wrong but I seem to remember when Excel based there in 2006 and planned their increased aircraft to 2 based units in 2007, there were plans to extend the apron onto the light aircraft park. A bit of reconfiguration would allow for the numbers talked about here. That said, there is no chance HUY could sustain more than a single based aircraft with TUI with perhaps an extra in summer. And again, at what cost to the airport?

This is what Peel are finding, ultimately these days you need a critical mass of a few million passengers per year to cover overheads. Constant increase in regulations and the requirement to constantly invest in capital infrastructure projects basically prices the small players out of the market. DSA could be THE Yorkshire airport, sadly demand driven airlines who are looking to cut costs further and drive hard bargains are going to the airports that can absorb that cost, and have a proven track record of filling flights.