PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is Ukraine about to have a war?
View Single Post
Old 17th Aug 2022, 17:41
Lonewolf_50

Received 420 Likes on 262 Posts
Originally Posted by DirtyProp
Only the Ukrainian people can answer that question, and nobody else. It is their fight and they are the ones paying the highest price.
We can only support their decisions, whichever ones they choose.
*applause and complete agreement*
Originally Posted by langleybaston
Gentlemen, the enemy has four options.
He will choose the fifth.
Ain't that the truth?
Originally Posted by Pali
I wonder how hard it is to adjust them to carry western made weapons especially HARM missiles which may play a role in expected oncoming offensive of Ukraine.
Drawing on my limited experience in ad hoc systems integration of slapping a piece of hardware onto an aircraft (in our case mounted on a bomb shackle with some shielded cords) and in another case as a substitute for a different piece of avionics, the answer to that is informed by first asking
"What level of risk are you willing to assume?"
If you want it to have highest reliability and best chance to work as desired, you'd need to do detailed systems integration testing and field trials - soup to nuts - so that the brain inside the aircraft and the brain inside the piece of ordnance don't get sidetracked by a variety of other signals and pulses that also use electricity.
"How hard" is on a sliding scale depending on what level or reliability you are interested in. Generally, it takes time and effort.
Why is this so important? You want it to work when the shooting starts.
As an example of getting this horribly wrong, the USN's Bureau of Ordnance (before WW II) didn't get it right with submarine launched torpedoes.
It wasn't until Lockwood took the bull by the horns, after the shooting had started, that it got sorted out. A few details from the wiki article on this, I read a book on him years ago when I was at sea and had the time...but the lesson was received. Get it right before you send them out to shoot the ordnance.
Spoiler