PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Reported Pause in RAF White Recruiting To Meet Diversity Targets
Old 17th Aug 2022, 14:03
BEagle

Received 272 Likes on 111 Posts
During my time as a UAS instructor, one of my secondary duties was to arrange attendance at Freshers' Fairs to recruit new members. This went quite well when existing students volunteered to help out, as potential recruits were more likely to chat with them than with 'RAF suits'.

When the pile of application forms came back for initial sifting, I found that a number of applications from people-formerly-known-as-females had been put aside by the Adjutant. "Why is this?", I asked him. "We've got our 10% quota", he replied. I told him that there was no such thing as everyone was equally entitled to be reviewed. At least 2 of those who'd been put aside were ultimately successful - and a third would have been except that, try as we might, we couldn't locate her. We later received rather an aggrieved letter from her parents, to which I apologised and said that we'd be very happy to see her for the next year's intake. She duly turned up, did very well at interview but unfortunately failed medical assessment.

Quotas are an abomination!