PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Reported Pause in RAF White Recruiting To Meet Diversity Targets
Old 17th Aug 2022, 12:53
Fortissimo

Received 36 Likes on 13 Posts
People will always argue against change - some of us are old enough to remember when women were first allowed to become pilots in the RAF and the complete misogynistic hoop that was spouted in response. None of the early candidates, and none of the many since, were treated differently from their male counterparts when it came to aptitude, medical standards and OQ assessments. The same standards applied to all, regardless of their biology. I don't believe anyone is advocating or accepting a reduction in standards just to meet diversity goals.

There is plenty of evidence for diverse teams performing to a higher standard than homogenous ones. At the individual level, talents do not recognise ethnic or biological boundaries so by putting artificial restrictions in means you limit your pool of talent. Recruiting and selection starts with attraction - ie you have to want to join the organisation or do the job in the first place. If the organisation does not give some nod towards reflecting society, someone looking at becoming a member of it may well think twice or not even bother to apply.

For some groups, as Easy Street points out, the family 'gatekeepers' also have a role to play. I have a friend from UAS days who had secured a slot as a pilot. He was of Indian heritage and, whilst his mother was comfortable with the idea of him joining the RAF, his father was not - he did not see it as a proper career for his son, saying that there weren't 'people like him' in the Service. My friend eventually decided to honour his father's wishes, went off to become a chemist instead, and has regretted it every day since.

It is true that 86% of the UK population is white (2011 census), though it may have come down a point or two since then. Of that 86%, half are female. If your initial expressions of interest from potential recruits do not comprise 43% white females, then there is a question to be asked about public perceptions of the Service (which is why you see 'rainbow' photographs). If you are from a so-called under-represented group, there needs to be some confidence that you will not be discriminated against, or you are likely to look elsewhere.

And to repeat, discriminating against someone on grounds of ethnic origin, sex or other protected characteristics as part of your recruitment process is illegal. Preferring to select someone on those grounds to improve diversity is legal only if the candidates are equal in all other respects.

Moreover, there is precisely nothing that the forces can or should do to address these matters. It is not the forces' job to shape the political and cultural views of UK citizens.
I agree with the second part of this statement but not the first. There are things that can and should be done, but that needs to be limited to demonstrating that military careers are worthwhile and that the organisational culture is inclusive.