PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Crash at SunShine coast.
View Single Post
Old 17th Aug 2022, 09:54
By George

Received 74 Likes on 18 Posts
Shame the post descends into a slanging match as it is not only a interesting subject but one where there is a strong safety message. Lead Balloon and Djpil have hit the nail on the head. ‘Know your aeroplane, the POH and any peculiarities to spin recovery for the type’ one size does not fit all.

I have spun half a dozen different types, the only classic one is the DH82, textbook spin recovery. The Chipmunk, after opposite rudder, requires the stick full forward to the stop and some even speed up one more turn before recovery. They also will go flat with an aft C of G , for example a light weight in the front and a NRL player in the backseat. The Victa Airtourer will stop spinning with central rudder. All are slightly different in some way.

I know of one instructor killed in a Grumman AA1 where the fuel contained in a tubular spar runs to the wingtips and stabilises the spin. Then you have some of these RAA machines with very dubious spin qualities.

I think it was a mistake to remove spinning from the syllabus. I understand the theory was, it is dangerous. This accident I guess proves that point.

What is dangerous is not knowing your aeroplanes capabilities.