PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Reported Pause in RAF White Recruiting To Meet Diversity Targets
Old 17th Aug 2022, 08:40
biddedout

Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts
I remember back in the 80's and 90's I had a few misogynistic and openly racist colleagues who's views and opinions strayed well beyond what would have been considered "normal" banter in that era. What worried me was that several of these people went on to become officers even though their report-writing leaders at the time would have been well aware of their attitudes. Clearly, the selection system didn't pick this up either and they would have gone on to have influence on the careers of others through the nineties and beyond. I have no idea whether the current situation is OTT but there was clearly a need for change back then.
Space shuttle commander Scott Kelly makes some interesting comments in this book about how as a former navy fighter form the all male, mainly white testosterone fuelled 80's he realised that NASA's efforts in D&I really paid off over time. You got a much better outcome in any project with a diverse team with lower testosterone levels. The "right stuff" might have worked in the early days but it would have held back progress over time.