PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Continued U.S interfering with foreign airlines
Old 5th Jan 2004, 04:15
CS-DNA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As some people have said this (non congregation around toilets) is un-enforceable,
people need to go to the toilets, and queues will happen, even on short-haul, never
mind trans-Atlantic flights.

The first problem with an un-enforceable rule is that it will lead to it not being obeyed.
But worst than that is the fact that when you have rules that can not be obeyed there is
a tendency to start ignoring other rules, and end up ignoring rules and requestes that
may be very serious and make perfect sense.

I have seen this kind of process, not in professional aviation as my only contact with
it is through pprune, but in many other activities. It is Human, people will ignore that
which is un-enforceable, and that process will creep into the "neighbouring" rules.

If enforcing rules that make very good sense is quite difficult, trying to impose rules
that are not practical leads to sloppy implementations and non-compliance.

I know perfectly well that dealing with security issues is not simple, but the results
of sloppy work will be costly (in this case lives and $$$€€€) and this is plain sloppy.

Don't misunderstand this as an affirmation of incompetence onto whoever makes the rules
and works on security, errors are human, but these people should also be receptive to
what is being said from the outside.
Suffering from the "Not invented here" syndrome, simply dismissing whatever comes from
outside the US, is not acceptable when dealing with security and LIVES!

Regards
CS-DNA