PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Continued U.S interfering with foreign airlines
Old 5th Jan 2004, 03:58
Jim Morehead

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HUCK---or anybody...Is there a thread detailing the decision nor law about cargo cabotage in PANC.? It was being considered,but then I saw nothing more.

On the other issues, I have read 3 pages of comments. I am an American and don't always agree with the government(freedom allows one to do that) and don't always agree with every law and directive that anybody sends out no matter what country. But to live in society, you have to abide by the law or change it. Civilied countries that have freedom have that option. But this is not intended to be a political discussion.

It is intended to try to tell you why things in the US are as they are. Why did no one attack the US since Pearl Harbor? It is a record that 9/11 happened and a lot of the world says,'"So what!" Of course a lot of people (innocent ones) died in 9/11 from lots of countries.

But the US doesn't want Mom and Pop's screen door company flying into the US and crashing into another building. Terrorists don't care. And terrorists may be trying another way to do it with other LAX airlines and there are many of those who don't think they are vulnerable. They also will likely try to crash into Parliment, the Opera House, The Effiel Tower, and other places so that they may establish their presence. I'll bet world attitude will change IF and WHEN this happens.

On the trivial bathroom matter, I think it was intended for First class or whereever the cockpit is. Regardless, mobs and groups of people do constitue a terrorist threat. Even if they didn't, how would you like the last few rows on a 747 or 757 and 50 people were lined up in your face to go to the bathroom???

While some rules appear stupid (and some might be), everybody is going to comply or they won't fly into the US or any country for that matter. If country X only wants arrivals every 2 mintues or no airplane within 20 miles of another, THEY are going to set the rules. NOT YOU nor some opinionated know-it-all on PPRUNE or any forum.

If the US wants air marshalls, then you are going to provide them OR you can go fly somewhere else. They add to the safety and they are not on every flight. Do you see a policeman or undercover agent on every corner or should their be one? The element of surprise is a deterent.

On the issue of the sky marshalls were not on the 4 hijacked American Airlines from American and United, it was luck of the draw.Who knows what the outcome would have been had they been there. Maybe it didn't happen to anybody that you knew nor your country and not your airline. But it did happen in my country and to my former airline and to the Captain who I knew personally. Maybe you can justify all of this to his family. I can't.

So it is easy to sit back and mock things when one has no idea of why or how things go, went, or might go in the future.

On a slightly different subject, can one tell me if there is a thread that discusses the opposition from the BA Pilots union about armed SKY Marshalls or can someone define what the opposition comes from? It is my understanding that they are BRITISH people on BRITISH flights protecting mostly BRITISH citizens. I fail to see the problem. I only saw this opposition issue on TV, so maybe there is more to the story