PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BEA and Northeast Viscount 800s
View Single Post
Old 16th Aug 2022, 09:29
pax britanica

Received 48 Likes on 21 Posts
Air Banda

The LHR beacon, which was very large and flashed I think LN in morse was more S than SW at LHR , and its location is easily identified today from the junction of Beacon Road and the Southern Perimeter Road .

Its very bright green glow was reflected of lower clouds and lit up the skies east of Stanwell where I grew up. Always referred to locally just as 'the flashing beacon' it is extra ordinary it went on so long into the days of CAT III ILS and autolands.

Sadly very little left at at all from the LHR of the 60s which I suppose is the fate of most airports. New Tower , four less runways, T4 T5 .away from central area, BEA base , in some ways its a miracle that they have been able to chnage so much without expanding the airports footprint at all , even the western runway extensions were as far as I know still within the original boundaries. Yet less than a mile down the road from the perimeter to Stanwell village the church with tis less than straight spire has watched over it all for close on 900 years and even closer to the airport the original village school will be 400 years old in two years time what on earth would the builders have thought of what happened to the fields north of the village.