PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BEA and Northeast Viscount 800s
View Single Post
Old 15th Aug 2022, 16:46
GAXLN

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mooncrest
Many of us know that Northeast was a subsidiary of BEA via the British Air Services holding company. Did the two airlines operate on each other's services at any time ? The reason I ask is I recently saw some old film from Leeds Bradford Airport circa 1971. It features a Northeast Viscount starting and taxiing and throughout there are shots of a BEA Viscount - still in red square livery - parked on about stand 5. The only BEA-liveried Viscounts I remember at LBA were in the Speedjack colours during 1976, operating BA flights while the ex-Northeasts were being resprayed for about the fourth time!

Thankyou.
For the record, when the BKS 748’s were replaced by Viscounts at the time the runway extension opened in May 1965, initial services were operated for a period of time with BEA Red Square Viscounts using BEA flight crew and BKS cabin crew. I am not sure how long this lasted. Perhaps until BKS got the Viscount onto their AOC? If the film you mentioned is 1971 which ties in with Northeast liveried Viscounts perhaps this was a one-off substitution or, as someone else has suggested, a Manchester diversion.