PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FAA flight rules vs CAA flight rules
View Single Post
Old 15th Aug 2022, 12:44
Dave Gittins

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
That applies on any occasion where (in the USA) I have a license that entitles me to fly the aeroplane but where I am undertaking a checkout, I get P1 as sole manipulator of the controls and the instructor does as well because he has responsibility.

Others of the many oddities are that most "untowered" fields in the US use the Unicom system, whereas we have FIS operators. In addition, in the US, I might be talking to Colorado Springs Approach but can leave the frequency without announcing that I intend to to. I can't see Farnborough Radar being best pleased if I just called up Redhill without telling Farnborough I was changing frequency and squawking 7000 (1200 in the USA).

Other things are our propensity for overhead joins and dead side descents, vs. joining downwind on the 45.

One thing I do like in the USA is being able to readily get a transit over a major airport. I can't see Heathrow allowing me to cross the 27 L threshold at 1500 feet any time soon.

Last edited by Dave Gittins; 17th Aug 2022 at 14:32. Reason: added "(in the USA)" for clarity