PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hill Helicopters HX50
View Single Post
Old 15th Aug 2022, 02:06
DarrenL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've watched with interest from the sidelines the escalating presence of the Hill Helicopter, as there seem to be an abundance of advertisements promising what seems (to me) to be the unachievable.

And all the way through I've wondered just how they are going to transition from talking about a machine, to actually producing a real, flying example.

I'm no expert (in anything, sadly) but suspect that approval from the regulators (CAA, FAA, etc) is a painfully slow process.

It wasn't until today, after chancing upon an article written about Hill Helicopters in an obscure magazine, that I learned that essentially this is going to be a kit-built helicopter...!! (Apologies if you guys have mentioned that fact in this or other threads, I simply had not seen this rather significant element before.....)

So, if my understanding is correct, the new owners will go to the factory and 'build' their machine, then circumvent a huge tranche of the current regulations by flying it as an experimental (or amateur-built kit here in the UK) aircraft on a Permit to Fly. Don't the rules associated with Permit aircraft somewhat stifle the potential usability of the machine - I'm thinking maximum 4 POB, no night flying, UK airspace only, VFR only, etc.etc......

If they plan to be actually delivering machines to customers by 2024, how long will those early customers have to wait to exercise all of the capabilities and refinements of their wonderful (and it does indeed look wonderful) aircraft? No point in having five seats if you can't fill the fifth one for half a decade; all those fancy avionics just to fly VFR in the daytime, etc.

It's a shame, because I, like everyone, would love to see the industry shaken up, and to see the massive overpricing for parts that are 'aviation' brought to an end, so flying can be more realistically available.

I used to look at all the hype and the ads for Hill and think 'Wouldn't it be great if they actually could...."

But now, sadly, I just think "It's a Rotorway, in a posh frock....."

Not that I'm knocking Rotorway, oh no! They've been in the industry for a very long time now, and produce a genuinely (almost) affordable helicopter. And they've sold hundreds and hundreds of them.

But that amazing looking Hill machine........a kit? It just doesn't seem right......