PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Doncaster Finningley - South Yorks International..?
Old 5th Jan 2004, 01:15
BombardierCR7

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Charter guy, to answer your question I have no affilliation with LBA or HUY as I live in Germany, but I do however have to travel to West Yorkshire every couple of weeks. Therefore I know how difficult it can be to get there.

I would have no objection to Finningley - if Finningley was to become the airport to make Yorkshire accessible. It will not, it will only serve to dilute the existing infrastructure. Another low cost carrier in Yorkshire and a few IT's thrown in does not serve the needs of the International business community.

What Yorkshire needs is more airlines, not more "little" airports.

Finningley will be completely unable to attract "proper" airlines from Manchester in the same way that LBA, EMA and LPL have been unable (and out of those airports, LBA has definately the much better scheduled network). Do you see Lufthansa, Air France, KLM etc pulling capacity from Manchester to Doncaster?

Surely investment should go into developing existing aviation facilities. LBA needs a few things doing to it to solve its problems, nothing of which cannot be solved with correct investment.