PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - rex Celebrating 20 Years
View Single Post
Old 13th Aug 2022, 02:19
MickG0105

Received 216 Likes on 105 Posts
Originally Posted by Deano969
Mick in what world, where REX suspends jet ops for 3 months, border closures, lockdowns and omicron surge, is this a largely unimpeded period?
Your graph from August to October a mere 20% of per covid was achieved
Your graph shows that by December we had not even hit 50% of pre covid, hardly ideal operating conditions
Your graph shows a decline in January and February, which you have begrudgingly conceded, and we are still under 50%
Your graph shows that by April we are getting closer to normality at around 80%
The recovery in passenger numbers since the low point in August last year has been largely unimpeded. That is evident from the data. The point remains that domestic activity improved month-on-month with the exception of two months in that entire period. The recovery, as evidenced in the passenger numbers, has been largely unimpeded over the past 12 months.

The fact that Rex navigated that recovery poorly is a testament to their poor management.

For some strange reason on an earlier post you have implied massive growth of 400% over this period, not growth Mick, recovery, big difference
I didn't say growth, I said,
Activity has more than quadrupled over that period.
​​​​​​And I very specifically used the word "recovery" (... the recovery in domestic aviation activity ...) when referring to the last 12 months.

As for break even, few really know what that numbers really is
Obviously for the likes of SW this number would be higher being a LCC over a lean legacy carrier, but it's good that you have conceded that there are plenty breaking even at 70% or less
Being new to jet ops, REX does not have the baggage of older legacy carriers and as they have come in clean sheet, for example, they would not have had to worry about converting to outsourced ground handling or maintenance as this would have been the case from the get go, nor would they have old expensive leases trailing off
So yes, being in the top percentile is very likely where they are at
I did not say that "there are plenty breaking even at 70% or less". I said that IATA found that out of 122 airlines they looked at, less than 15 percent had a break-even point at 70 percent.

And just by the bye, the legacy carriers in the Forbes study - American, Delta and United - all had higher break-even load factors than Southwest.

And Rex, in the top ten percent of airlines from around the world?! Seriously? Today, on one of the busiest air routes in the world, they finished flying before lunch. With a fleet of six jets they will mount 19 flights today. None of that is consistent with a top decile operator.

Taxes? remember 2013s multi billion dollar loss/write-down then for years after no tax on profits
Gee, having previously referred you to annual reports do you think that it is even vaguely likely that I haven't factored that in? The accrued tax benefits from the QF losses were completely expended by FY18. As I said previously, for FY19, Qantas paid more than three times as much in corporate tax as Rex had paid in aggregate for the last ten years.

How about this? Either put up or shut up on your inane tax bet. If you think you're right, just post the data. If you're right, I won't post on this thread again. If you're wrong, you don't post on this thread again. How's that?

Last edited by MickG0105; 13th Aug 2022 at 09:47. Reason: Typo, corrected for courtesy