View Single Post
Old 12th Aug 2022, 22:47
MickG0105

Received 230 Likes on 111 Posts
Originally Posted by Deano969
Thanks for attaching the graph to tour post Mick
Totally backs up my point and discredits yours

By your own graph we have not been running 12 months unimpeded
I should have anticipated that reconciling words and pictures might have been a stretch for you. Just to be clear, I didn't say that the recovery had "been running 12 months unimpeded"; what I said previously was that the recovery in domestic aviation activity has been running largely unimpeded for 12 months now.

What that graph shows is that since the nadir in passenger numbers in August last year, for the significant majority of the past 12 months we have seen improving passenger numbers month-on-month (ie an ongoing recovery in domestic aviation activity). There have been just two months - February and May this year - where passenger numbers went backwards (ie where the recovery was impeded). In other words, over the past twelve months, the recovery in passengers numbers has been largely unimpeded. And that graph illustrates that point.

Originally Posted by Deano969
As for break even
REX has continually stated that their 737 operating costs are lower that even JQ
What their actual break even is I really don't know, but 70% would be close to the mark
Again, why do you think 70 percent would be close to the mark? Where do you think Jetstar's break-even point is?

Forbes looked at this for a handful of US airlines last year; Southwest's break-even was around 72.5 percent. IATA looked at this in 2020 when social distancing proposals were going to significantly impact achievable load factors; the average break-even load factor across a sample of 122 airlines was 77 percent. Only 18 or so of the 122 sample broke even at 70 percent or less.

And just by the bye, Rex stating something, particularly continually, is probably a good indication that it is likely not correct. We know that Rex pays their crews less than Jetstar. It is highly unlikely that Rex is paying less for fuel than Jetstar.

If Rex can break-even with 70 percent loads I'd be surprised. Apart from anything else, that would put them in the top quintile of operators globally, essentially best-in-class. Do they strike you as a best-in-class operator? In any event, for the week just gone to Friday, they weren't even managing 60 percent for their jet ops.

Separately, where are we at with that bet on corporate taxes?

Last edited by MickG0105; 12th Aug 2022 at 23:13. Reason: Tidy up