PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What causes "blowback/flapback" when accelerating through transverse flow effect?
Old 12th Aug 2022, 13:58
SunofAtom

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 212man
What normally happens when the disc attitude changes? Isn't that the whole basis for changing direction and speed?

For the original poster, you may find this interesting reading - (hyperlink removed as I'm not yet allowed post them..) (hopefully won't give some readers nightmare flashbacks!)
This looks like a great read, thank you for the link!

-------------------------

Originally Posted by HissingSyd
Well, not a nghtmare, but a huge flashback!

When I took over as CGI at Culdose in 1976, the available PoF teaching materials were "somewhat lacking in rigour" and I determined to to improve them. I gathered information from all the sources I could tap into and synthesised them into a set of class handouts. I was afraid that I might have over-stepped things a bit with the rigour, and some of the beefers of 705 Sqn were not too happy, either. When I left the job to go back to sea, I expected there would be a certain amount of watering down in the future.

In those days the AP3456 was quite a small volume and the Helicopter section quite brief, so it was largely ignored. Over the years I have come across some phrases and diagrams in various other publications that looked familiar, but I have never seen the later versions of AP3456.

Imagine my surprise, and gratification, when I followed the link and found huge chunks of the early chapters were verbatim from my handouts. Even most of the diagrams are photographic copies of my diagrams, with the labels made with Rotring stencils.

There are revisions and interpolations, of course, and there may be some original errors, but it does seem to have stood the test of time pretty well. ;-)
Very cool backstory as well!

-------------------------

Originally Posted by Ascend Charlie
Very knowledgeable man. Rocket scientist too. He wrote a book called "Finger Trouble" which makes your skin crawl with the things that people did wrong in the space race.
Another book I'll have to find, although this one seems to be long out of print.