PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tuna Spotting, tuna boat ops (incl Guam)
View Single Post
Old 12th Aug 2022, 05:57
rotorfish

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ha Ha Just found this. All historical now, but its a good lesson for all in placing too much credence on what is put about. Cross check what you read (including my post!)
I flew for Tropic for two years at the time of the post. They had nine helicopters at that time. They lost one due to pilot error. The usual tie down. A kiwi pilot and it was near Wewak. Cant remember his name. He was repatriated to Cairns and sent home. Tropic self insure the hull, and they have third party liability for the ship. Their workers comp is from somewhere in Australia ,as the dumb careless pilot was repatriated by the insurance company.
Hef is spot on. Its an expensive business and margins are very low, as Hansens were (and still are) operating Vietnam war relics with C10 engines and some C18 engines. and forcing the prices down, trying to drive out competition. They actually take out a C20 and sell it, putting in C18's (T62-A-700 military engines out of the US Army disposals).
I understand there were seven operators in Guam in late 1990's. Johnny Walker purchased Hansen's from Vern Hansen in about 1998, and the downhill path commenced.
One by one the long time established operators shut up shop except for three. Tropic moved out of Guam, and HeliGuam (Victor Reyes) went belly up owing pilots large salaries and unpaid bonus payments, and they rebirthed as Pesca Helicopters in Pohnpei with three helicopters. Richard Grills an Australian pilot tried to lift the boat out of the water being while still fixed to the deck matting. The end result he finished up bungy jumping over the side inside his helicopter. Victor gave up , made his second helicopter a spare parts basket and flew on for several years as his own pilot mechanic. I think on a Taiwanese boat. Probably a Winfar boat. He finally gave up competing with Hansen's K mart prices and junkyard parts and retired to open a Pizza outlet in Guam. The Hansen story is well documented in WWW.Hansen-Helicopters.com.

with his helicopter st.

Last edited by rotorfish; 12th Aug 2022 at 05:58. Reason: forgot to delete last few words in editing/checking the post