PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Anyone remember the Majunga detachment?
View Single Post
Old 9th Aug 2022, 18:41
Alison0904

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Butterlflies…

Originally Posted by jackbeveridge
I was stationed at majunga commcen in 1970 for the regular 6 months tour. Happy days. I enjoyed reading the majunga forum. brought back memories. one incident spings to mind. About 6 of us organised a trip up to the top end of madagascar to collect sea shells. Seemingly they are quite rare. Two landrovers with trailers carrying all the gear, including fresh water, tents ect. An officer approached us and asked if he could come with us as he was a keen butterfly collector and he was desparate to catch some of the rare butterflies which are native only to Mada. We ofcourse agreed. We didnt make our intended destination, got lost in jungle and some of the roads were totally impassable. So this guy persuaded us to help him catch butterflies instead of sea-shells. He majically produced three or four nets and gave us a few basic tips on the art of catching and killing the butterflies without damaging the wings or bodies of the beasts. So there we were prancing about in the jungle catching butterflies. You couldnt make it up. he was like a young kid let loose in a sweetie-shop. And we all joined in the big game hunt with loads of enthusiasm. I have just discovered, in attic, some slides of that particular hack. Now on my pc. If you are that officer then i would be more than happy to send you these photos. Or to anyone else who is interested. My email address is
[email protected]
I’ve got a feeling this officer could have been my Dad… he’d have been about 28 back then. He was a keen butterfly collector and sounds like the bizarre sort of thing he’d do. His name is Nick Wright. Sadly recently passed away but would be great to see the pics if you still have them. Thanks