PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Historic Helicopters open day 13th Aug?
View Single Post
Old 9th Aug 2022, 14:15
SASless

Received 520 Likes on 217 Posts
Having been involved in similar but different efforts like the one Whitehouse is attempting to do.....I know only too well how many problems there are to overcome.

Not only is the sheer financial cost such a tremendous expense...but the toll that officialdom takes upon those endeavoring to put historic aircraft back in the air can be soul destroying even for those who have a strong and good Heart.

As noted by MD 600....we should applaud those who are contributing so much to the Helicopter Industry, the Military, and all that means to us that have were participants in the. making of that history.

So....I too applaud Whtiehouse and his entire Team for their good efforts and offer them my sympathies for having to cancel a very much looked for event.

As an aside to the Historic Aircraft situation.....I was associated with Phil Connolly and his team when Huey 509 was being introduced to the UK.

One of the things I did was to apply the markings and decals to the aircraft so that it would have the appearance it did while it was assigned to the 129th Assault Helicopter Company during the Vietnam War.

I suggested to Phil that it would be a nice gesture to display the names of the Unit's KIA's and one MIA and he immediately agreed.

Those names are on the Sliding Cabin Doors....and have been seen by literally. thousands of people when they view the aircraft during displays.

Keeping historical aircraft flying is real contribution to aviation history....and is not a very common thing as helicopters are so expensive to maintain and operate.

That makes these efforts so unique and so special and all of us in the Helicopter World need to support them the best we can.

From a personal view point....when I stood back and looked at the Huey with those names showing on the door....it was a special moment for me.....a tribute to Men who flew into battle in helicopters.