PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EK Salary Review Time Again
View Single Post
Old 8th Aug 2022, 11:58
AIMINGHIGH123

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rhodes13
And you know how many are working their notices how?

The alternative from RYR was a continuation of the status quo so how is more money in a members pocket earlier a bad thing? Is it perfect no, but its a damn sight better than what could have been achieved without a union. And I notice you conveniently gloss over the fact of the significant victory they scored with the ending of the sham contractor model with many of those same people now due large payouts from the company and the aligning of UK pay scales....

At the end of the day a union can only work within the laws of the land in which they operate in. Your ire should be directed at successive governments of both persuasions that have continually watered down workers and unions rights to a point where the UK has some of the weakest workers rights and protections in the EU.

But go on keep telling everyone how crap the UK and unions are and what a utopia EK and the ME is.
How do I know? That’s classified. I’m not a spring chicken and have contacts.

Yes it is a dam site better than it was I agreed. I think they should have done more before COVID, personally. Maybe not to the extremes of the late Bob Crow but he knew how to negotiate. I have worked at places with unions that were a fraction of the cost as BALPA charges it’s members and they were good as well.

Now to calm you down a bit.
I never said EK and ME is utopia. I don’t think anywhere is.
For my situation weighing up loads of pros and loads of cons between BA,EK,J2,Virgin,RYR plus a few others there’s not much in it. I would take the hand given to me at the time.
Big points against BA is my age. BA you have to get in when you are early to late 20s latest. After that it becomes less and less attractive.
Virgin the lack of security. Of all the airlines mentioned I would put these at risk of going completely. They have never done amazingly financially. J2 is a good shout. Big negatives for me are it’s only SH. Personally wouldn’t want to be restricted to just that. BA is amazing for that. You have options. However leads back to point 1.
EK is not perfect and it would be a max 15 year plan. The money is still pretty good and ideally it would lead to my other plan outside of aviation. At the same time seeing my friends and family in Dubai. Dubai is a very marmite place. 100%. Before I went to it the first time it didn’t interest me at all. It’s the only place we have been to more than 5 times on holiday. Maybe it’s because we have friends there but sorry to disappoint you we just love it. Some people love camping in the middle of nowhere that’s not us. Can’t think of anything worse than camping or sitting in a log cabin in the Alps. Done that not interesting.

I love being a pilot but I would rather retire early. Having ran the numbers with my current situation EK is the best bet in that regards. Coupled with seeing friends and flying LH with turnarounds thrown in as well.
If EK offered part time options a better bidding system it would be way way better of course it would. Never gonna happen is it. That is what makes BA and the UK airlines attractive but yes not gonna lie I hate paying so much tax and seeing nothing for it.