PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Moving to the Top End for flying
View Single Post
Old 6th Aug 2022, 11:38
missy

Received 64 Likes on 38 Posts
Hi,
I found the thread but it didn't contain as many gems as I was expecting.

Edited from a post on that thread.
Use this time to put some money in the bank, increase your employability in preparation for the new normal (whatever that is going to look like). Obtain a bus licence, senior first aid, book keeping skills (MYOB / Xero), anything that will make you more employable to a GA Charter company than the next new pilot resume in the pile.

You are not likely to be offered a job whilst you are sitting thousands of KMS away.

Pick a place where your first job is, move there, get a job picking fruit, pulling beers and/or some other job you can do. Submit your resume with local operators, become a part of the furniture and wait. Be very careful how you behave, these are small towns and stories of bad behaviour will spread very quickly. My first job was with an operator in Kununurra, the owner was a clever bloke, the final step before employment was the Friday afternoon BBQ, the prospective pilot would be fed full of full strength beers and the boss would sit back and see what emerged, it was quite breathtaking at times. One person got into an argument with the CP (who was a top bloke), another got totally wiped out then jumped into his/her car and drove back to town...

Don't fly for free, ever.

Not every car / truck / bus will be an automatic.

As Warnie said to his son (Jackson) -
Manners are free, Don't give up, Be present.

Good luck.